BUZZIN' 2: Outer Circle
Buzzin's is all about breaking new bands out to a wider audience and few come newer than Outer Circle who are barely out of training pants. Well, they haven't even put the training pants on as the debut gig isn't until later this month as part of the new My Friend Henry night that local lads Where's Strutter are launching at Gullivers.
With the band being so new what do we know about them
1) The band is fronted by Shaun Gilroy - formerly of The Drainpipes and Rum Diamond. Gilroy's been off the scene since Rum Diamond split apart from a few select acoustic appearances across the city centre. This new band is bye bye former musical heroes The Libertines and developing into something much more interesting
2) Other members hail from Dead Celebs....while half the band are a mystery
3) Outer Circle's "When You Choke" is the best song Gilroy has written since "Special". Its the best debut song we've heard from a Manchester band in ages and the lyric "Make sure i'm there to see you when you choke" is the most unconventional but absolutely essential lyric since Black Box Recorder's "Life is unfair, kill yourself or get over it" (Editorial Update: Matt Burgess actually wrote "When You Choke.... still a great song)
4) Musically its pure bluesy influenced dark dirty funk bashed out by a punk band. But they only have one song online so far so will its anyone's guess if the other songs sound similar
5) Some bands aim to be the soundtrack to Skins, Outer Circle are about as far as you get from this. They're more likely to soundtrack a dark tale by Jimmy McGovern or anything with Ken Stott in
Outer Circle play Gullivers on Saturday Jan 15th alongside Designer Magazine faves The Lysergic Suite
For more info and to listen to "When You Choke"
*** Previous Buzzin' Artist #1: The Cads - Indie electro pop from Ipswich - rewind & read here ***
Magazine unless otherwise stated.
All Interviews by Alex McCann unless otherwise stated
NB: Please seek permission before using any articles within this site